The first prompt for the project was to think of something at any point in time that we experienced. This could be a shopping, Disneyland, the zoo, or anything at all. I chose to talk about my experience going through security at the airport. This was an experience that I would go through often but never truly thought about what it was like. From there I thought this would be a good proposed problem to try to solve. There was much more anger and stress navigating airport security then there should be. Finding where the line starts, having all the things you need out to check in, then knowing when and what to take out of your carry on bag can become a really overwhelming process. I plan to move into interviews to find out what people think the root of the problem is and see if airport security can be any less stressful.
Based on deciding that I wanted to improve the experience of TSA airport security I moved onto the tasks to get to the best solution possible. I was tasked to conduct interviews and and a user journey map to begin. This task was supposed to give me a look into what is wrong with the experience that already exists and the pains people have with it as well as what is good about the experience and shouldn’t be changed. From there the tasks were further narrowing down what I wanted to change about the experience and steps to get me there. Such as identifying touch points, building a maquette, beginning to learn sketch-up, and also start to develop wireframes for the app that accompanies and improves the experience.
In the next few pictures you can see my interviews and beginning process for the project.
As seen above, for the interviews I wanted to make sure that I could see the person and have it be live in order to ask follow-up questions to get the ideal amount of information. After I had completed the interviews I made a user journey map to plan out what touch points were going to be important based on what struggles were pointed out in the interviews. Moving forward I am narrowing my touch points to make sure that they are the most meaningful and important areas to try to improve the experience. Along with these touch points I next built a maquette of the space to get a better understanding of how the user works their way through the space and where the use of digital aid will be most helpful.
I continued working in sketch-up to create a higher fidelity space that shows how it is now a more practical for the experience. Overall, my actions are guided toward learning about the user needs and wants for the best possible experience.
After completing this project I learned a lot about how important the interview stage is. I would not have made some of the decisions I did for the app or the signage in the physical space. Conducting the right kind of research and learning about the target audience can elevate the project to a whole different level. I grew in my understand of how I should go about my design process for bigger more complex projects. I learned that the interviews for projects can be pretty uncomfortable for me but in the long run, were some of the most important aspects for creating Good Flight.
Below are my high fidelity completed images of the space mocked up in Sketch-Up as well as my high fidelity signage and app screens. I would like to learn more about Sketch-Up as this was my first time using it.
Final Screens and Mock Ups